- Module “Advanced Methods of Information Retrieval” (SS 2019, SS 2018, SS 2014, SS 2015), Leibniz University of Hannover, Germany. Lecturer, module leader (“Lehrauftrag”, 4 SWS). Abstract: In this module we introduce the students to the advanced methods and algorithms of Information Retrieval for structured and semi-structured data (such as relational databases and knowledge graphs). The topics of the module include data structures, ranking methods and efficient algorithms that enable end users to effectively obtain the most relevant search results from structured, heterogeneous and distributed data sources. Furthermore, we will study the corresponding evaluation techniques as well as novel applications.
- Module “Foundations of Information Retrieval” (WS 2008 – WS 2014), Leibniz University of Hannover, Germany. Lab and lecturer assistance. Responsibilities: Selected lectures, lab curriculum, design and marking of written exams, feedback to students. Abstract: The module gives an introduction to Web Information Retrieval with particular emphasis on the algorithms and technologies used in the modern search engines. The module covers an introduction to the traditional text IR, including Boolean retrieval, vector space model as well as tolerant retrieval. Afterwards, the technical basics of Web IR including the link analysis and crawling are discussed. This leads on to the study of the modern search engine evaluation methods, various test collections and applications.
- Student supervision in the context of Web Science Seminar, Leibniz University of Hannover, Germany. Abstract: The seminar discusses state-of-the-art approaches to Information Retrieval, Semantic Web, Data Mining and Social Web.
- Supervision of student projects:
- Several programming and research projects in the context of “Software project” and Oberstufenlabor “Web-Technologien“.
- 03/2017-02/2020 Coordination of the Data4UrbanMobility project.
- 08/2018-07/2021 Coordination of the Simple-ML project.
- 01/2019-12/2022 Coordination of the Cleopatra project.
- 09.02.2016 – 12.02.2016 WDAqua ITN R&D week, University of Bonn, Germany.
- 01.2016 – 12.2016 Weekly seminar for PhD students. University of Southampton, UK.
Supervision of Researchers and Students
- Supervision of PostDocs
- Dr. Besnik Fetahu, from 2018.
- Dr. Ivana Marenzi, from 2018.
- Supervision of PhD Students
- Supervision of M.Sc. and B.Sc. Students
- Alexandra Risch. M.Sc. Thesis: “Extraction and Interlinking of Mobility-Relevant Geographic References from Twitter” (11/2018-05/2019).
- Simon Gottschalk. M.Sc. in Computer Science, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Germany. Thesis: “Analysing Language-specific Differences in Multilingual Wikipedia” (2015). Graduated with distinction [pdf]. Related publications: see bibsonomy.
- Irina Oelze. M.Sc. in Computer Science, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Germany. Thesis: “Integration of YAGO Ontology in the IQP Query Construction System to support efficient Query Construction over a large-scale relational Database” (2012). Related publications: see bibsonomy.
- Irina Oelze. B.Sc. in Computer Science, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Germany. Thesis: “Automatic Keyword Extraction for Database Search” (2009) [pdf]. Related publications: see bibsonomy.
- Supervision of Interns and HiWi Students